Search This Blog

Monday, December 2, 2013

Chocolate Sugar Cookies



So a tiny little amount might have passed since I last posted.  I have eaten a ton of good food in the last 11 months, much of it sugar based.  And it all was in the name of serving those who read this blog(all of you I can count on my one hand)!  Even if I didn't blog all the many treats I ate, I thought about blogging them, so really, it is totally a service I was performing.  
The holiday season is upon us and as I was searching for some new cookies to bake and eat, I mean to take to all of my friends, I came across this.  The cookies sounded really good and had a great picture, and let's face it, so much of whether we try a new recipe we see is based on the picture.  But these definitely did not disappoint.  They are full of chocolatey flavor, chewy, and oh so yummy.  And there is no rolling, cutti
ng, flouring, etc.  Which, hello, is a total winner for me.  You know my motto, the easier the better! 

Chocolate Sugar cookies
found on: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 14 tablespoons butter
  • 1 3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder and set aside.
Put granulated sugar in shallow bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, melt 10 tbsp of butter carefully, do not overheat.  As soon as it is melted, remove and add 4 additional tbsp of butter and stir until all is melted.  Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, until it is about 90 or 95 degrees.  If no thermometer, just allow the full 10 minutes.
The butter should be warm but not hot.
Whisk the brown sugar, vanilla, and salt into butter mixture until completely smooth.  Whisk in egg and egg yolk until smooth.  Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.
Roll the dough into 2 tbsp balls, roll in sugar, then place on lightly greased or lined baking sheets.  Using the bottom of a glass, flatten into about 1/4 in and sprinkle additional sugar on top.
Bake for about 12-14 minutes, until they have cracks running along the top, then transfer to cooling rack.




No comments:

Post a Comment