Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

Creamy Chicken Taquitos



When starting this post, I decided that I have actually made some progress in the kitchen! Who would have ever thought? And by progress, I mean that when first starting this blog, I posted these taquitos. They consist of opening a box, pouring some sauce and putting shredded cheese on it, and sticking it in the oven.

Now, I am totally not saying that I still don't make dinners just like that. I am just saying that I have gently expanded my ability to make a teensy bit more challenging stuff. I am still a huge novice and when I look at others' blogs, I feel a little silly that I even post things at all. However, I am trying hard not to compare and just be happy with where I am and be ready to try hard to improve.

These taquitos are something that my family loves and gobbles up quickly. They are extremely easy and really delicious. We have made them a ton over the last couple of years and I am finally getting around to putting them on the blog. They can be made with either corn or flour tortillas. I, for some weird reason, really prefer the corn to the flour. But both are really good. We usually have them as the main course but they are great as appetizers/finger food as well!

Creamy Chicken Taquitos

Ingredients:

1/3 c (3 oz) cream cheese
1/4 c salsa verde
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
2 tbsp sliced green onion
2 c shredded cooked chicken
1 c grated pepperjack cheese

small corn tortillas or flour tortillas
kosher salt
cooking spray

Heat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.

Heat cream cheese in microwave for about 20 seconds until it is soft and easy to stir. Place in mixing bowl with green salsa, cumin, onion powder, chili powder, lime juice, and garlic powder and stir to combine. Add green onions and cilantro. Then finish by adding chicken and cheese and combine all together (you can actually make this ahead and keep in fridge until you are ready to make the taquitos).

Working with just a few of tortillas at a time, heat in the microwave between two slightly damp paper towels until they are soft are roll without cracking. 20-30 seconds should do the trick. If they are unrolling right away or cracking, just heat them a little longer.

Place 2-3 tbsp of chicken mixture of bottom 1/3 of tortilla, keeping it about an 1/2 inch from the sides. Roll up as tight as you can (again, if your tortillas are cracking, heat them a little longer). Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet. As you lay all the rolled tortillas down, make sure they are not touching. Lightly spray the tops with cooking spray and sprinkle each with kosher salt.

Place baking sheet in oven for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.

When done, you can dip 'em or use them as main meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment