Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

Lemony Gingerbread Whoopie Pies




What month is it? Okay, March I know, but I am going to tell a little Christmas tradition story to go along with this post.

Every year, as most people do, my mom would be busy baking up a storm to get ready for the holiday season. She would make all the cookies she was famous for and we then we would pile in the car, drive to our old stompin' ground of Van Nuys, visit our past neighbors and deliver Christmas cookies on Christmas Eve.

And of course, if someone happened to not be home, the kids in the back might or might not have quickly opened up that plate and gone wild with the cookies. It was during those times, riding in my family's minivan, singing Christmas carols, that I cultivated my absolute love for gingerbread.

As soon as I saw these, I had to make them. The idea of combining gingerbread with lemon was very appealing to me. I know these are a bit out of season for most people but I really can go for gingerbread at anytime of the year. And even though I just posted a whoopie pie recipe, I didn't let that stop me!

Lemony Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
from Taste of Homes

Ingredients for Cookies:
3/4 c butter, softened
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c molasses
1 egg
3 c flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c sugar (I used less I think)

Ingredients for Filling:
3/4 c butter, softened
3/4 c marshmallow creme
1 1/2 c confectioners sugar
3/4 tsp lemon extract (I was actually out of this so I used zest from one lemon and a couple of tsps of lemon juice from that lemon)


Instructions:
In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 350.

Shape into 1 inch balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/2 inch in thickness with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

For filling, in small bowl, beat butter and marshmallow creme, until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and extract (or lemon zest and juice).

Spread filling on the bottom of half the cookies, about 1 tbsp on each-top with remaining cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment