Search This Blog

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Banana Crumb Muffins

I have been trying hard not to be wasteful when it comes to food lately and when I saw that I had several bananas sitting on my counter going bad I was going to make banana bread. But then I remembered that my friend Christy had posted on her recipe blog a muffin recipe that looked delicious. So I tried that instead. Surprisingly, I had all the ingredients in my pantry. They are really good!

Batter:
1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 C granulated sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 c butter, melted (5 tbsp)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Topping:
1/3 C packed brown sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers. (I only have a 6 muffin tin, I just made big muffins!)
In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
For those, like me, who had no idea what cutting in meant, here is the definition!
To work a solid fat, such as shortening, margarine, or butter, into dry ingredients, usually with a pastry blender. (I just used a fork!)

No comments:

Post a Comment