Search This Blog

Friday, June 19, 2009

Apricot-Glazed Chicken Breats with Almond Couscous

I have a confession to make. Even though I don't really like to cook, I love to buy those Pillsbury and Betty Crocker type books that are in line at the grocery store. I love when a new one comes out. I actually haven't made much that is in them, so one day, when I was feeling really inspired, I decided to go through and write down all the recipes that I wanted to try, what books they were in and what page number for easy reference. So the other night, we finally tried one! It was really good, though Ryan put some more pepper than the recipe called for on the chicken and it was pretty hot. So I would just follow the recipe. It was easy, good, and only 400 calories. And I discovered that my girls absolutely love couscous. Who knew?













Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)
2 tbsp apricot preserves

Couscous
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1 cup uncooked couscous
2 tbsp slivered almonds, toasted if desired

Set oven to broil. Spray broiler rack with cooking spray. Flatten each chicken breast by placing between 2 pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper. Working from center, gently pound chicken with rolling pin or flat side of meat mallet until 1/4 inch thick.

In small bowl, mix garlic powder, pepper and ground red pepper. Sprinkle on both sides of chicken; place on rack in pan.

Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Brush with half of apricot preserves; broil 1 minute longer or until preserves are bubbly. brush with remaining preserves before serving.

Meanwhile, in 2 quart saucepan, heat broth and butter to boiling. Stir in couscous and almonds. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork before serving with glazed chicken.




No comments:

Post a Comment