Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Pizza



Well, it is official. I really do live in the smack dab middle of the country. After three months of living here, we finally tried to order pizza from Papa John's last Friday night before we went to Disney Princesses on ice (really cute by the way). Anyway, we came to find out that they did not deliver to our house. I looked at Ryan and told him I might as well get it over with and buy myself some overalls. And I better learn how to make pizza!

Ok, so you might read the directions and ask yourself why the title has the word prosciutto in it but the pizza itself contains no prosciutto. Well, when I saw this on Pioneer Woman, I tried it with what she used, prosciutto. And you know what I found out? I did not like prosciutto in the least little bit. But the combination of the caramelized onion with the mozzarella was really nice, and besides, the pizza was pretty easy and you know me and easy when it comes to cooking! So I thought I could just substitute another meat and give it another try. It was so yummy. I used Pesto Parmesan Ham. But I felt like that really ruined the title so I kept it the same, and besides, other people probably really like prosciutto.

1 pizza crust (store bought or homemade, Pioneer Woman has a great one)
Olive oil for drizzling
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
kosher salt to taste
Parmesan cheese, grated
10 0z. mozzarella, thinly sliced (I read a tip once to freeze mozzarella for just a little bit before cutting since it can be hard to slice)
8 slices of Boar's Head Pesto Parmesan Ham

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in skillet. Add onions and brown sugar and stir until onions are soft and brown. Set aside.

Roll out pizza dough into rectangular shape on sheet pan or pizza stone. Drizzle olive oil, sprinkle kosher salt, followed by some Parmesan.

Put mozzarella slices evenly the top of the crust. Arrange onions over top, and believe me, they are so good, you will want a lot! Then place ham on the pizza as well. See, super easy!

Bake 15-17 minutes in lower half of the oven, or until golden brown. Remove and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment