Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

White Chicken Chili


I forgot how crazy and spastic the weather can be here. The high last Sunday never got out of the low 50s with the low being in the 3os. Today? Well, we have our a.c. running yet again. It was 87 degrees today. So even though the weather doesn't exactly correspond to this dish, the season certainly does. And I am sure it will be snowing here in like 3 hours.

When I had Ashlyn, one of my friends Tricia brought over this dish to us. I just remember gulping it down it was so good. We have made it several times since then and it is still just amazing, although I don't make it as good as her. Ryan's mom has a white chicken chili recipe that is similar but still different enough that I want to try it and compare it. But this recipe will always be a favorite, no matter the weather!

White Chicken Chili
by: Tricia Thomas

1 large onion, chopped (I used white)
1 large clove of garlic
combine and cook in butter (she didn't tell me how much so I just throw some in there) until soft, but not brown

Make a rouix: melt 2 cubes of butter, add 1/2 cup flour, whisk together and boil for 3 minutes
Add the onion and garlic
Then add 4 cups half and half and 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth (she uses chicken stock which may account for her better tasting chili!)

Simmer for 3 minutes or until thick (mine does take longer)

Put mixture in crock pock and then add the following:
4 cans of white beans (any but I use great northern)
2-3 cans (4 oz. each) green chilies
4 boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and cut into small pieces (she boils a whole chicken)
2 cups grated Monterrey jack cheese
1-2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1-2 tsp of chili powder (depending on how spicy you want it)
1 tsp cumin
simmer for 20 minutes or until warm.
Right before serving, add 1 cup sour cream, salt and pepper to taste and garnish with cilantro




No comments:

Post a Comment