Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Smokey Chipotle Meatloaf




So, one thing that will not have me running to the table is meatloaf. Um, yuck is all I can say. I haven't liked it since forever. Whenever I have had to eat it, I have lathered it up with ketchup so I couldn't really taste it. Nothing against your cooking skills mom! I think it is a texture thing, I don't know.
Anyway, Ryan has always been such a great sport about my less than stellar performances in the kitchen throughout our marriage. He has never come home asking what is for dinner, he probably actually expects that he will have to cook. I can't tell you how many times he has come home and I have just looked at him and said, "oh, I haven't even thought about dinner." He always smiles and says no problem. (and then we would go to Chick-Fil-A!)
A little while ago, we were talking about different foods and he mentioned that he really likes meatloaf. Well, since he has always been so sweet about not caring about my cooking I thought I would try it once again. I found a recipe that contains chipotle and since I love chipotle I tried it and hoped for the best. It actually wasn't too bad for me and Ryan loved it. He better appreciate it too because one of the things I hate most in life is squeezing raw meat with my bare hands! And by the way, I am sure there are those out there that can do it, but I had no luck making meatloaf looking pretty!

Smokey Chipotle Meatloaf
found on allrecipes.com

Ingredients
2 eggs
1/3 cup hickory smoked bbq sauce plus more for topping
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 chipotle chilies, minced
2 tbsp adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup dry oatmeal
2 lbs lean ground beef

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 9X5 loaf pan with cooking spray.

Beat two eggs until smooth in large mixing bowl. Add everything except oats, meat and onion and whisk together until smooth. Mix in meat, onion, and oats and work with hands until everything is worked through evenly. Put in loaf pan and brush with extra bbq sauce. They suggest 2 tbsps, I just poured it on.

Bake until no longer pink, about 1 hour. Cut and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment