Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Tostadas


When I first discovered food blogs, I was astounded. Call me totally ignorant if you will but I had no idea of the amount of blogs dedicated to eating well. Actually, I still find them kind of overwhelming. I will be perusing and wanting to try so many different things that my head starts to spin. But they are so great, I have found and tried so many great things that I never would have.

So this was actually one of the first recipes that I tried off of a food blog. I don't even know if you can call it a recipe but it is really good regardless. My kids love beef so that is what I usually make this with but I think some seasoned shredded chicken would be awesome. I know most people could put this together without someone telling them what to do but that is another thing I love about food blogs. So many times the posts that start "everyone already has this but here it is anyway" are the ones that I haven't ever heard of. I am one of the kitchen challenged people out there who really appreciate those bloggers who add recipes that people assume everyone already knows or has!

And I have to apologize but since it was one of my first tries off a food blog, I had no idea I should remember where I got it from so I could give them credit!

Tostadas
from: a good food blogger!

Ingredients
corn tortillas
vegetable oil for frying
seasoned ground beef (you can season your own or use a packet)
refried beans
grated cheddar cheese
lettuce
tomato
sour cream (optional)
guacamole (optional, I just added sliced up avocado)

Preheat oven to 350. Set a cookie sheet next to your stove to collect hot tortillas.

In a small frying pan, pour enough vegetable oil (or whatever oil you want) to cover bottom. Heat oil to medium high heat. Carefully slide tortilla into hot oil with tongs. When tortilla puffs up and turns golden, flip it. This shouldn't take too long. Place on cookie sheet and transfer to oven to keep warm while you're preparing the rest of the ingredients. (I actually do the tortillas last so I don't worry about putting them in the oven)

Take tostada shells from oven. They are hot, so be careful. Apply a thin layer of refried beans to each tortilla, then top with seasoned ground beef. Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven until cheese is melted.

Top with whatever ingredients you would like, lettuce, tomato, more cheese, sour cream and guacamole. One thing that I did add was squeezing some fresh lime juice over the tostada. It adds a nice flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment